Monday, March 12, 2012

Chocolate Cake

We celebrated my sister-n-laws birthday this past weekend by having her and my brother over along with their two kids for homemade pizzas and of course cake. Brook's favorite cake is chocolate with chocolate frosting, so after a quick search through my trusty file box (Phyllis's old recipes) I had the perfect recipe. My friends, I realize the last two recipes that I have posted have not exactly been good for you but who doesn't love some sweet treats every day now and then. I chose to bake my cake using a bundt pan but a regular sheet pan will work just as good.

Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:
- 3 sticks of butter
- 4 tablespoons of cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash of salt

Icing:
- 1 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1 tespoon vanilla

Directions:
- In a saucepan add 3 sticks of butter and 4 tablespoons of cocoa. Bring to a boil and mix.
- In a large mixing bowl sift 2 cups of sugar with 2 cups of flour. Pour chocolate mixture over this and mix.

- Add  eggs, 1/2 cup buttermilk, baking soda, vanilla and a dash of salt. Beat. Pour into a greased pan.
- Bake 350 for 40 minutes. (Bundt pan)
- Bake 325 for 35 minutes if using a different pan.


Icing:
In a saucepan add 1 cup butter, 4 tablespoons of cocoa, 1/2 cup milk. Boil and stir. Remove from heat and add 1 box powdered sugar and vanilla. Pour over cake while hot.




No comments:

Post a Comment